What is PrEP
PrEP is an acronym for ‘Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis’ that defines an innovative approach to HIV prevention. The term narrates a complete story with clear significance to prevent HIV negative individuals from being infected when coming in contact with HIV positive people. The narration states:
- ‘Pre’ defines ‘Before’
- ‘Exposure’ defines ‘In contact with HIV’
- ‘Prophylaxis’ defines ‘Treatment to prevent an infection’
The medicines also works to reduce the risk of infection in case of sex between gays, bisexual men, transgender women, heterosexual men, and people injecting drugs. Anyone can opt to choose ‘I want PrEP now’ to have an assurance that the occurrence of infection inside the body is effectively prevented. We at GrabPrep work to.
Benefits of PrEP
PrEP beholds many benefits for HIV negative adults and adolescents who are at high risk of being infected by the disease. The medication can:
- Reduce substantial risk of infection.
- Helps in controlling the spread of virus in the body.
- Prevents the infection even through injected drugs.
There are considerable evidences based on the proven benefits of PrEP medications. Some of the known evidences are as follows:
- As per the iPrEx study that was conducted as a clinical trial among 2499 men and transgender females to analyze the impact of antiretroviral medication on sex acquisition it was found that there was significant protection against HIV in participants who take the drug regularly.
- As per the IPERGAY study conducted among 414 MSM (Doing Sex with Men) participants taking on-demand PrEP and the result was about 86% reduction in HIV infection.
- As per the PROUD study conducted among 544 MSM to explore the actual effectiveness of the medications and the result was higher protection of HIV infections or any other sexually transmitted diseases.
Composition of PrEP
PrEP is available in two forms:
- Branded drugs like Truvada manufactured by Gilead Sciences.
- Generic forms like Tenvir EM manufactured by Cipla.
To state about the authenticity and quality of both the forms, both are approved by the US FDA. The branded version is the Truvada composed of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate and Emtricitabine that collaboratively work to stop the HIV virus from replicating within the body. On the other hand, the generic versions also have the same combination and deliver the same results. The only difference that they have is that the manufacturing company does not hold the original patent to manufacturing the type of medicine.